The European Space Agency (herein the “Agency” or “ESA”) is an intergovernmental organisation established by its Convention opened for signature in Paris on 30 May 1975 having its headquarters located at 24 rue du Général Bertrand, CS 30798, 75345 Paris Cedex 07, France.
Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework, available at: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/Law_at_ESA/Highlights_of_ESA_rules_and_regulations
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017; and
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This notice is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
- the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
- the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
- the modalities of collection of personal data;
- the purpose of the collection and processing;
- the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
- the location of the personal data;
- the time-limits for storing the personal data;
- the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This notice is also enables ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
(1) Who is the Data Controller?
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken by ESA.
Thus the Data Controller is ESA.
(2) What are the contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer?
According to the ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at DPO@esa.int
For further information on the situations in which you may contact the ESA DPO, please refer to the questions below.
(3) What kind of personal data about you are collected and further processed?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below are in particular:
- Field of Activity
- Empty space to write a message
- Email Address
Other information that you provide and which may directly or indirectly identify you.
You are required not to send to the Agency any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, the personnel’s ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, parties etc., health situation, sexual orientation).
(4) How are your personal data collected or further processed?
Your personal data may be collected by various means, including via:
- the contact form
- Newsletter subscription
- Active Directory Federation Services or ADFS authentication (ESA, location XXXX)
Your Personal Data will be collected and stored by ESA, the servers of which are located in The Netherlands. The Agency shall take any appropriate measures against the risks of loss of Personal Data as well as against unauthorised access, destruction, use, modification or Disclosure of Personal Data.
(5) Why are your personal data collected and further processed?
Your personal data are collected and further processed:
- enable ESA to respond to your query
- enable ESA to send you the newsletter;
- enable ESA to authorise your access to and use of the ADFS system to access documents
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
(6) What are the legitimate grounds for which ESA will collect your Personal Data?
Your Personal Data will be collected because it is necessary for:
- sending the Newsletter and to inform you about ESOC activities when you sign up for it and provide your consent
- To allow access to ADFS documents
(7) To whom might we disclose your personal data?
ESA will not disclose your Personal Data to any entity other than ESA’s staff members and personnel contracted by ESA to provide technical support services for the esoc.esa.int website. The Agency does not consider your Personal Data as an asset for sale and will not sell your Personal Data to any third parties.
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
(8) How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency may keep your Personal Data for 5 years after the end of the activity or as long as for the fulfilment of the above mentioned legitimate purposes. Your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter.
(9) How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data?
You may request the access, erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your Personal Data if, and to the extent that it is considered necessary, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in the ESA PDP Framework.
If you request the erasure of your Personal Data, you understand and agree that ESA will not be able to provide answers to your requests or send you the ESOC newsletter.
You may also be allowed access to your Personal Data and have the possibility to erase, rectify, complete or amend it, according to the following modalities:
1. by unsubscribing from the newsletter clicking on the “Unsubscribe button” available here: https://xxx.esa.int
2. by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
(10) What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: email@example.com
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
(11) Your consent
The processing of personal data described in this privacy notice is based on your consent. You may provide your consent by accepting this privacy notice (selecting the ‘I accept’ checkbox) prior to submitting the registration form.
You can withdraw such consent by requesting ESA to stop the processing. This will not affect the legitimacy of the personal data processing that took place prior to the withdrawal of user consent.
You can withdraw your consent at any time:
- by sending an email to ESA DPO at: firstname.lastname@example.org ; copy: esa business process owner email
If users choose to withdraw their consent, they understand and agree that they will no longer be able to esoc.esa.int.
For those cases where your consent was not already obtained by ESA (including by other modalities) and is required under the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection, you agree with the collection and further processing of your personal data:
- I accept.
- I disagree.
You will be able to withdraw your consent depending on the modality used to collect your personal data, in particular
- by unsubscribing to the mailing list
- by sending an email to ESA DPO at: DPO@ESA.int